Memorial Day Quotes: On Monday, May 29, Americans across the country will honor the brave men and women who lost their lives in the service of our country. Whether you’re planning a parade, a service, or a moment of silence to remember those who have given their lives for our freedom, we’ve rounded up some of our nation’s greatest, most iconic, and famous patriotic quotes. Here are some of the best Memorial Day quotes.
Memorial Day Quotes
1. Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay. — Barack Obama
2. And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. — Lee Greenwood
3. This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. — Elmer Davis
4. Heroism is not only in the man, but in the occasion. — Calvin Coolidge
5. Heroism doesn’t always happen in a burst of glory. Sometimes small triumphs and large hearts change the course of history. — Mary Roach
6. There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America. — William J. Clinton
7. As America celebrates Memorial Day, we pay tribute to those who have given their lives in our nation’s wars. — John M. McHugh
8. The brave die never, though they sleep in dust, their courage nerves a thousand living men. — Minot J. Savage
9. The legacy of heroes — the memory of a great name, and the inheritance of a great example. — Benjamin Disraeli
10. Never was so much owed by so many few. — Winston Churchill
Happy Memorial Day Quotes
11. Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. — Charles de Gaulle
12. On Memorial Day, I don’t want to only remember the combatants. There were also those who came out of the trenches as writers and poets, who started preaching peace, men and women who have made this world a kinder place to live. — Eric Burdon
13. May we never forget our fallen comrades. Freedom isn’t free. — Sgt. Major Bill Paxton
14. For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue. — James A. Garfield
15. Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. — Adlai Stevenson
16. Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death. — Sun Tzu
17. …And if words cannot repay the debt we owe these men, surely with our actions we must strive to keep faith with them and with the vision that led them to battle and to final sacrifice. — Ronald Reagan
18. Let their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored. — Daniel Webster
19. Memorial Day this year is especially important as we are reminded almost daily of the great sacrifices that the men and women of the Armed Services make to defend our way of life. — Robin Hayes
20. America without her soldiers would be like God without His angels. — Claudia Pemberton
Best Memorial Day Quotes
21. To those in uniform serving today and to those who have served in the past, we honor you today and every day. — Unknown
22. I believe our flag is more than just cloth and ink. It is a universally recognized symbol that stands for liberty, and freedom. It is the history of our nation, and it’s marked by the blood of those who died defending it. — John Thune
23. Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We did not pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. — Ronald Reagan
24. So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good. — Helen Keller
25. A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. — Joseph Campbell
26. The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude. — Jeff Miller
27. I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. — Nathan Hale
28. In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. — Martin Luther King, Jr.
29. These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation that has a long history of patriotism and honor – and a nation that has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror. — Michael N. Castle
30. Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. — Eleanor Roosevelt
Short Memorial Day Quotes
31. My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. — John F. Kennedy
32. Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives. — John Adams
33. Every star in the universe represents a soul of a soldier who gave his life for the life you live today. ― Giovannie de Sadeleer
34. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us, that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion, that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. — Abraham Lincoln
35. For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue. — James A. Garfield
36. On this Memorial Day, it is right for us to remember the living and the dead for whom the call of their country has meant pain and sacrifice. A grateful nation is in their debt. — Lyndon B. Johnson
37. As we set today aside to honor and thank our veterans, let us be mindful that we should do this every day of the year and not just one. — Beth Pennington
38. Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours. — Wallace Bruce
39. Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no future. — Elie Wiesel
40. Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops, and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well. — Jennifer M. Granholm
Memorial Day Messages
41. This Memorial Day, our deepest gratitude goes to the fallen men and women who gave the citizens of the United States a chance to make this world a better place.
42. We are forever grateful for the ultimate sacrifice of those who died for our country. May their courage and dedication never be forgotten.
43. Take a moment this Memorial Day weekend to honor those who served our nation and are no longer with us.
44. May this Memorial Day bring you good memories of your son. We are forever grateful for his service to our country and his great courage.
45. This Memorial Day, we thank the fallen heroes of America who gave their lives to serve the nation.
46. Never forget the price we’ve paid for our independence.
47. We salute our fallen and give thanks for our freedom on this Memorial Day.
48. They never came back, their silence lives on. We remember the fallen this Memorial Day.
49. To the loved ones we have lost: You are forever in our hearts and minds. Your service and sacrifice to our country will never be forgotten.
50. On Memorial Day, we thank all the servicemen and women who are no longer with us for protecting our country by giving away their lives.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Which of the following Memorial Day Quotes did you enjoy the best? Please share your favorite Memorial Day Quotes with us in the comments section.
If you like this post about Memorial Day Quotes, please share it with your friends and family on your favorite social network platforms.
Image Credit:- Canva
Hi I am Minakshi, the author of QuotesStories.com. Quotesstories is a hub of trending quotes, Wishes, Greetings, Poems, and Stories. You can access and read interesting stories, quotes, wishes, sayings, and poems here.